Floating for Happiness
happiness hap·pi·ness | \ˈha-pē-nəs \
The Merriam Webster Dictionary defines Happiness as follows:
a) A state of well-being and contentment
b) A pleasurable or satisfying experience
Shorter days, colder temperatures, busy schedules….. All of these things can chip away at your level of Happiness this time of the year. But, did you know that floating can give you a happiness boost?
Here are 5 ways that floating can keep you feeling happy this Holly Jolly season:
1. Happiness has a molecular basis, according to Yale biochemist Philip Applewhite. The good news is that we can increase the levels of these pleasure-creating neurochemicals through frequent conscious use. We know that the deep state of relaxation that you reach during a float session causes the body to release endorphins, serotonin and dopamine which contribute to feelings of happiness. The more frequently you float, the more often your body is producing your happy hormones.
2. Re-create the feelings of happiness anywhere, any time. People who float frequently know that ‘sweet spot’ – that feeling of flow and deep relaxation, where your body has disappeared into the nothingness, and you melt into pure bliss. Brain research suggests that all experiences are stored away in the brain, and we can instantly recall them with the right signal. This state becomes a clear ‘body memory’ that becomes easier and easier to access both inside and outside the tank. The float tank is a natural biofeedback machine which allows us to become aware of these states of deep relaxation and remember them clearly. With a little practice, you can recreate this bliss wherever you are. Try it next time you are in line at the grocery store. Pause for a second, and revisit those feelings from your last float.
3. Your body will feel like doing a Happy Dance. Removing the effect of gravity from a sore and achy body can do wonders. If you are suffering from chronic pain, recovering from a great work out, or itching to get back out on the slopes ASAP, a float will make your body happy. The anti-gravity float environment allows your body to relax without any pressure points, allow easier blood circulation, heightens your body awareness so that you can easily pin point areas where you may be holding tension and more. Visualize the sore parts of your body releasing and healing, and the total experience can be very powerful. When your body is happy, chances are your mood will take a great leap up the happiness scale as well.
4. Take some much-needed ‘ME’ time. Family commitments, work commitments, shopping, baking, visiting, wrapping, and let’s not even mention the crowds – oh my. This time of the year can feel a little bit overwhelming. A 90 minute reset can provide just the reprieve that you need to let the chaos go, gain some clarity on what is really important, and catch up on some much needed rest. Some of our customers report some pretty epic naps during their float, leaving them feeling incredibly recharged and refreshed.
5. Be present and savour the precious moments. With so many memory-making moments this time of year, isn’t it important to be truly present to enjoy them? Floating has been shown to reduce feelings of anxiety, depression and overwhelm. Guess what happens when your precious energy is no longer being used to feed the anxiety monster? You have more energy to focus on the things that matter, like truly connecting with the person you are with, noticing the true beauty of nature, savouring the joy of simply being alive. It is truly a glorious feeling.
So, if you are looking for a happiness boost that lasts a few days, give us a call at 250-377-7716 or book your appointment online here.